Colloidal Oatmeal Powder (Colloidal Oat)
₦1,500.00 – ₦8,500.00
Colloidal oatmeal is a natural cosmetic ingredient obtained from whole Oat grain. It is used as an ingredient in a wide range of skincare products due to its skin-loving benefits including hydrating and preventing moisture loss, soothing skin irritations, has mild cleansing properties and more. It’s a great ingredient for making products targeting dry skin.
Colloidal Oatmeal is not the same as Oat Flour. For several years, oatmeal baths have been used to relieve different skin conditions including, eczema, dry skin, psoraisis, itching, irritation, diaper rash, insect bites, itching from contact with irritative plants.
INCI Name: Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour
Other Names: Oat Powder, Oat Flour
Derived from: Whole grains of Oat (Avena Sativa) plant. Oat kernels are ground into super-fine powders that dissolve in water.
Ingredient Function: Humectant, Occlusive
Appearance: Super-fine smooth powder; Light cream colour
Smell: Faint oat smell
Composition/ Active Ingredients: Colloidal oatmeal contains Beta-Glucans (a humectant), antioxidants (Vitamin E, Avenanthramides, Ferulic Acid, saponins, minerals, lipids, proteins
Solubility: Water Soluble
Suggested Usage Rates: 0.5-5% in emulsions; 1-10% in soaps
Storage: Store in a cool and dry place (10°-25°C), in a tightly sealed container, away from moisture and direct light
Shelf life: 12 months from date of manufacture, if properly stored
- Add to the water phase of your formulation. Can also be added in the heated oil phase of formulation
- Disperses smoothly in emulsions
- Usage Levels: Creams: Lotions and Creams 0.5-2%, up to 5% | Soaps 1-10% | Milk Bath 10-50%
- Colloidal Oatmeal powder is also used as a thickener, binder and a source of protein source in skincare and beauty products formulation
- Added as an additive to dry masks, lotions/ creams, serums, and bar soaps, cleansers, hair conditioners and shampoos, and more
Common Uses of Colloidal Oatmeal in Skincare and Beauty
- Face masks for mild exfoliation
- Moisturizing Lotions and Creams
- Moisturizing and follicle strengthening haircare products
- Cleansers and shampoos
- Soaps and shaving products
- Bath washes and Bath soaks
- Anti-ageing products
- Skincare products for dry and sensitive skin, including eczema and acne prone skin types
Properties and Benefits of Colloidal Oats to Skincare and Beauty
- Anti-Inflammatory and Soothing Properties: Colloidal Oatmeal has been used for years as a home remedy to reduce and soothe eczema and dry skin related itching, skin irritation and inflammation. Colloidal Oatmeal contains ‘Aventhramides’ which are effective anti-inflammatory agents. Also, Colloidal Oatmeal’s soothing effects is due to its ability to act as skin buffer or PH buffer, helping to restore the skin’s PH to normal levels, which resulting in soothing and reducing any skin itch.
- Moisturizing, Occlusive and Skin Protective Properties: Colloidal oatmeal helps keep the skin moisturized by forming a coating (occlusive layer/ film) on the skin that acts as a barrier to prevent water loss that usually to dry skin. That way, Colloidal Oatmeal locks in moisture and also prevents water-loss. The Occlusive barrier also helps protect the skin from damaging external agents such as sun damage.
- Humectant Properties: Colloidal Oatmeal is able to absorb or attract moisture/ water onto itself, and it’s is able to holds on to water. The small Oatmeal particles bind to your skin, and due to its humectant properties, those particles attract water and moisture to keep the skin hydrated. *Its Occlusive property helps prevent water from evaporating from skin. Ultimately, it helps keep the skin moisturized/ hydrated, soft and plump.
- Cleansing and Exfoliation Properties: Colloidal Oatmeal Powder contain ‘Saponins’ that help unclog pores by soaking up excess oil that have clogged pores. It also helps to exfoliate dead skin.
- Mild Alternative to Soap: Colloidal Oatmeal Powder acts as a mild cleanser and alternative to soap for people with sensitive, dry, or itchy skin types
- Strengthens Skin Barrier: Improves skin dryness, boosts moisturization, and repairs the barrier.
- Skin Repair and Protection: Due to its antioxidant content, Colloidal Oatmeal powder helps protect the skin from free radical damage. It also contains lipids (unsaturated triglycerides) that help replenish the skins oils.
- Promotes a Smoother and Softer Skin: Colloidal Oatmeal powder helps reduce scaling and flakiness, resulting in a smoother, softer skin with improved texture. Colloidal Oatmeal contains ‘Beta Glucan’, a hydrating agent or humectant which has the ability to penetrate deep into the epidermis to smoothen and plump wrinkles and fine lines.
Colloidal Oatmeal Powder vs Regular Oatmal (the Differences)
- Colloidal Oatmeal Powder is not the same as Oat Flour
- Colloidal Oatmeal Powder contains the bran (i.e. outer skin/ peels of the grain). It is processed by grinding the raw Oat grains without removing the bran. Therefore, colloidal oatmeal is made from unprocessed, Whole Oat grains.
- Regular/’breakfast type’ oatmeal powder or Oat Flour does not contain the bran or outer skin of the Oat grain. Oat Flour is processed, by first removing peeling off/ removing the skin of the Oat grains.
- The powder of Colloidal Oatmeal is very finely ground – more than any kitchen blender can do.
- Regular Oatmeal powder doesn’t have as much skincare benefits or long-lasting benefits as Colloidal Oatmeal powder.
What’s the big deal about the bran/ outer skin (i.e. bran) of Oat Grains? The bran of Oat grains is the part that contains important skin-loving active ingredients that offer skin conditioning, soothing and other benefits.
**NOTE: This is a cosmetic grade product; For external use only (not to be consumed/ eaten); Use for formulation of cosmetic & personal care products only.
**Colour of this plant extract may vary from batch to batch.