Sodium Hydroxide (Lye/ Caustic Soda)
₦2,000.00 – ₦12,200.00
There’s no soap without Sodium Hydroxide. Sodium Hydroxide, also known as Lye, is a major ingredient in cold process soap making. This ingredient produces only solid, hard, bar soaps.
INCI Name: Sodium Hydroxide
Other Names: Lye, NAOH, Caustic Soda, Soda
Appearance: White crystalline powder
Storage: Store in a tightly-covered container, kept in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight and moisture, and far from the reach of children.
Shelf Life: 1 year
Used For: Making of Bar Soaps, Shampoo Bars, Dishwashing bar soaps. Sodium Hydroxide is also used as PH adjuster.
- For cold process soap making: make a lye solution using 1 part sodium hydroxide to 2 and 1/3 parts water (ie. 30% lye + 70% water) or 1 part Sodium Hydroxide and 2 Parts Water.
- Lye Calculator: If you hate math or want to get the numbers fast, use a lye calculator such as SoapCalc (available online) to figure out the exact quantity of caustic soda (lye/ sodium hydroxide) and water to use for the quantity of oil you have.
How to Dilute Sodium Hydroxide/ Lye: Add Sodium Hydroxide to water (and never the other way round).
Uses of Sodium Hydroxide (Lye/ Caustic Soda)
- Bath and Laundry Bar Soaps: Sodium Hydroxide is used to make handmade bar soap soaps for bath and laundry
- Shampoo Bars: Sodium Hydroxide makes gentle and cleansing shampoo bars
- Dishwashing bar soaps: It’s also used to make dishwashing solid soap bars
- PH Buffer/ Adjuster: Sodium Hydroxide is also used as PH buffer to adjust/ balance PH of lotions, shampoos or other bath and body care products
- Shaving Foam Soap: Sodium Hydroxide, when combined with Potassium Hydroxide (double lye), is is used to make solid shaving foam soaps
Lye Safety Handling Notes:
- Sodium Hydroxide is a corrosive substance – can burn the skin. So, handle with care and store in a safe place.
- Before handling Sodium Hydroxide or working with it, wear proper protective safety gear including eye goggles, hand gloves, a long-sleeved shirt/dress and a long dress. Also, in a properly ventilated/ airy area and wear a nose mask to avoid inhaling the fumes when mixing lye and water.
*NOTE: This is a cosmetic grade product; For external use only (not to be consumed internally/ eaten); Use for formulation of bar soaps, cosmetic and personal care products only.
By buying this Item, you agree that you fully understand that Sodium Hydroxide is considered hazardous and could cause bodily harm, and you assume all responsibility for its safe use and proper storage.