Potassium Hydroxide Flakes (Caustic Potash)
₦1,800.00 – ₦20,000.00
Potassium Hydroxide is a type of lye. It is the key raw material used in the making of liquid soap.
INCI Name: Potassium Hydroxide
Common Name: KOH, Caustic Potash
Appearance: Solid White Flakes/ pellets; also comes in crystalline powder form
Purity: ≥90% KOH
PH Range: 10 to 13
Storage: Store in a tightly sealed container, in a cool and dry place, away from moisture and direct sunlight
Shelf Life: 1 year
Used For: Making of liquid soap for bath and laundry and dishwashing, shaving foam soaps (when combined with Sodium Hydroxide). It’s also used as PH buffer to adjust/ balance PH of lotions, shampoos or other skincare products
Usage Rate: Use a Lye Calculator such as SoapCalc to find out the quantity of Potassium Hydroxide and water you require for the amount of oil you have. Be sure to select KOH (i.e. Potassium Hydroxide) as your lye.
Dilution Guide: Add Potassium Hydroxide to water, and never the other way around.
Uses of Potassium Hydroxide
Potassium Hydroxide flakes are commonly used to make different types of liquid soap.
- Liquid Soaps for Bath and Laundry
- Dishwashing Liquid Soaps
- Shaving Foam Soap: A combination of Potassium Hydroxide and Sodium Hydroxide (double lye) is used to make solid shaving foam soaps
- PH Adjuster/ Buffer: Potassium Hydroxide is added in little amounts to adjust/ balance PH of lotions, shampoos or other skincare and haircare products
- Safety precautions must be taken when handling this ingredient.
- When working with Potassium Hydroxide, wear protective gears including goggles, long-sleeved shirt/ outfit. Wear a nose mask and work in a well-ventilated area, as Potassium Hydroxide releases fumes during mixing with water.
- Not to be eaten/ consumed. This is a cosmetic-grade raw material and is strictly for cosmetic formulations, and not to be ingested.
*NOTE: This is a cosmetic grade product; For external use only (not to be consumed internally/ eaten); Use for formulation of bar soaps, cosmetic and personal care products only.
By buying this Item, you agree that you fully understand that Potassium Hydroxide is considered hazardous and could cause bodily harm, and you assume all responsibility for its safe use and proper storage.