Ambunu Leaves from Chad (Natural Hair Detangler & Deep Conditioner)
₦1,500.00 – ₦26,000.00
Ambunu is a traditional Chadian plant used for herbal hair-care. It’s also commonly used in other parts of Africa, especially the Normadic regions. Ambunu is a natural hair shampoo, conditioner and detangler that has a lot of slip. Ambunu has been used for ages by nomadic women in Chad and other parts of Africa, and has become widely used around the World.
INCI Name: Ceratotheca Sesamoides
Other Names: False Sesame
Shelf Life: 24 Months (more, if properly stored).
Storage: Store in a cool, dry and dark place, away from moisture and direct sunlight.
Ambunu Properties and Benefits:
- Cleansing Properties: Cleanses the hair and scalp, due to its Saponin content.
- Great Slip: When soaked in water, Ambunu leaves have a great slip that helps detangles even stubborn or matted/ tangled hair;
- Conditioning Properties: Ambunu has traditionally been used to conditions the hair naturally;
- Curl defining property: Ambunu leaves defines the curls
- Hydrating Property: Ambunu moisturizes dry hair to leave it hydrated.
- Ambunu Leaves mixed with water is used to easily detangle hair after taking out braids (Ambunu has a lot of slip);
- Used in-between washes as a pre-poo treatment to refresh the hair;
- A no-soap/ soapless shampoo that does not strip the hair dry (Ambunu Leaves the hair refreshed and moisturized).
- Leaves dry hair hydrated and softer;
- An Effective Detangler: Amblunu is great at untangling tangled and matted hair, leaving it softer and maneageable.
Other Uses of Ambunu Leaves:
- Can be infused with an oil to make Ambunu Hair Oil, which can be used as-is or added to other hair products;
- Can be added as an ingredient to formulate a conditioning hair product, shampoo or cream.
Ambunu Leaves Uses and Benefits
Natural Herbal Hair Shampoo: Ambunu has cleansing properties due to its Saponin contents. It’s a soap-free shampoo. The cleansing Saponin is released when dry Ambunu leaves are mixed with warm/ hot water.
Natural Hair Detangler: Ambunu makes hair softer and easy-to-comb. The leaves have a lot of slip and so easily detangles even the toughest and difficult-to-comb African 4C hair. Ambunu easily loosens tangles and knots in hair.
Hair Moisturizer and Fizz Buster: Ambunu leaves have moisturising properties, and it cleanses hair of dirt and excess oil without drying the hair. Ambunu hydrates the hair and relieves dry scalp.
Curl Definer: Ambunu-water mix helps defines curls
Relieves Itchy Scalp due to its anti-inflammatory properties
Adds Sheen: Ambunu adds lustre and sheen to the hair
Prevents Hair Breakage: Strengthens the hair to prevent shedding and loss of hair
How to Use Ambunu Leaves Detangling Herbal Hair Shampoo and Deep Conditioner
- Add about 1 tablespoon of dry Ambunu leaves into a bowl
- Add some hot water (about a litre) to the leaves and stir with a spoon
- Leave it for about 10 minutes, or until the water becomes slippery (it should draw like Okro)
- Strain the liquid or apply it as-is (don’t worry, the leaves easily come off when you comb)
- Now, put the Ambunu-water mix on your hair, working in sections.
- Then detangle the hair with a comb or brush. [HINT: It’s easier to first put the Ambunu water in a spray bottle or any bottle with an applicator tip and apply]
- You can leave it on (as a leave-in conditioner) or rinse the hair.
*Any leftover soaked Ambunu Leaves can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Watch the video below to see how to use Ambunu and the effects of Ambunu on African 4C hair type.
*NOTE: Packaging may vary.