Willow Bark Powder
₦2,500.00 – ₦9,000.00
Willow Bark Powder is a skincare ingredient with pore-cleansing property, helps smoothen rough or wrinkled skin, helps shed dead and dull skin cells, calms inflammation on irritated or pimple skin. This skincare ingredient is a natural source of Salicylic Acid, and is suitable to most skin types due to being non-irritating. It is rich in skin-loving ingredients including Salicin, Flavonoids, and Polyphenols. Willow Bark Powder found on in the ingredient list of many skincare products including acne and oily skin products, anti-aging products, masks and more.
The White Willow Tree, also known as Salix Alba, are the main source of the Willow bark extracts used in skincare product formulations. The Black Willow Bark plant (Salix Nigra) is also used in skincare products. These species of the Willow Trees are rich in the ingredient ‘Salicin’, from which Salicylic Acid (a BHA/ Beta Hydroxy Acid) is derived. Our bodies convert Salicin into Salicylic Acid. Salicin is a milder version of Salicylic Acid.
INCI Name: Salix Alba (Willow Bark) Powder
Ingredient Type: Soothing, Anti-inflammatory, Exfoliant
Major Active Ingredient: Salicin
Other Names: Salix Alba, Salix Nigra, white willow, willow bark
Plant Part: Inner bark of Willow Trees
Active Ingredient Content: Salicin
Appearance: White to off-white powder
Solubility: Water Soluble; disperisble
Usage rate: 3% to 4.6%
Ingredient pH: 4.0 – 6.0 (in 3% water solution)
Storage: Store in a sealed container, away from direct light and moisture, in a cool and dry place
Shelf life: 12 months, if properly stored.
Commonly Used to Formulate: Toners, Serums, Lotions, Creams, powder masks (combined with clays) and other skincare product types.
- Add to water phase of your formulation
- Willow Bark combined with Vitamin C: Both Willow Bark Powder and Vitamin C are acidic in nature, and so when combined in a formulation, Willow Bark extract becomes unstable.
- Willow Bark combined with Niacinamide: The Salicylic Acid component of Willow Bark becomes ineffective, not absorbed by the skin, and could cause skin redness.
- Persons allergic to Aspirin should avoid skincare with Willow Bark extract, or first consult their Doctor to confirm if a skincare containing Willow Bark extract is suitable for them (Salicin, the major ingredient in Willow Bark, is similar to the main ingredient in Aspirin).
Properties and Benefits of Willow Bark Powder
- Willow Bark Powder is a natural alternative to synthetically-derived Salicylic Acid
- Stimulates collagen production, cellular turnover and increased renewal of skin cells
- Mild exfoliation properties: Due to its Salicin content, Willow Bark Powder helps exfoliate dull dead skin cells to reveal a radiant and glowing skin.
- Lightens Hyperpigmentation: Willow Bark Powder extract promotes even skin tone
- Anti-ageing & wrinkle-smoothening properties: Willow Bark Powder extract helps diminish the appearance of wrinkles and firms up the skin
- Pore Minimizer: Willow Bark Powder tightens the pores to help minimize the appearance of pores on the face and skin
- Reduces rough skin
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antioxidant properties
- Antimicrobial and antibacterial properties
- Soothes pimples/ acne and irritated skin
- Clears clogged pores and deep cleanses excess sebum from the face, to help the face stay oil-free.
- Protection from UV Damage: Due to its Polyphenols and Flavonoids contents, Willow Bark Powder helps protect the skin from harmful UV exposure.
- Non-irritating to the skin: Willow Bark Powder is suitable for most skin types